Re: [Amps] Fwd: Re: soldering vs crimping

To: "'Vic K2VCO'" <k2vco.vic@gmail.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Fwd: Re: soldering vs crimping
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 15:51:25 -0400
> I tin it and then use a tubing cutter to trim it. Very neat job.

I do that too.

I believe I solder the braid about as well as anyone, and I use the good
Amphenol silver connectors, etc., so there's no problem with the solder
sticking. I said it's tricky to control the heat, not impossible. I'd say
it's a heck of a lot trickier to do at the top of a tower with a butane
soldering iron.