Re: [Amps] Pi-L Network Question

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Pi-L Network Question
From: Larry Benko <xxw0qe@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 13:29:16 -0600
Jim,

On the comparison between a PI and a PI-L network:

PI needs to be run at a higher Q than the PI-L for the same stopband
attenuation resulting in sharper tuning as you QSY.
PI needs 1 fewer poles on the bandswitch (obvious).
PI has slightly lower inductance value and slightly higher capacitance
values.  This becomes more pronounced when comparing a Q=12 PI to a Q=8
PI-L (which has better stopband rolloff than the PI).
The Q=12 PI has about 75% higher current in the primary inductor than
the Q=8 PI-L.
Both have the save Vpk on the tuning cap. but the PI-L has about double
the voltage on the loading cap. (which is still a fairly voltage).

To me the need to retune more often on the PI network is a big deal but
based on how you operate it might not be.

73,
Larry, W0QE