Re: [Amps] Overdrive protection

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Overdrive protection
From: Vic K2VCO <k2vco.vic@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 12:23:22 -0700
Well, this isn't Alpha's problem. They shouldn't have to castrate their
protection circuit
so that the amplifier can be used with transceivers that are defective.

Aren't these spikes themselves dangerous to the amplifier?

Maybe they should issue a warning about the transceivers (we all know which
they are) that
do this. Given that the tubes cost $900, according to Alpha, it might be
cheaper to
replace the transceiver than to keep replacing tubes.

>> My question -- and maybe there's an Alpha employee on the list who
>> wants to answer -- is "isn't it possible to make an overdrive
>> protection circuit that will cause the amplifier to fault fast enough
>> to protect the tubes and components?"
>
> Of course there is but such a protection circuit would make the amp
> almost impossible to use with the many rigs have have a horrendous ALC
> spike on initial key-down.  Many of the most commonly used rigs produce
> a full power (or higher) 2-5 ms long even when cranked back to 30 or
> 40 watts.
>
> 73,
>
>      ... Joe, W4TV
>

> On 7/26/2012 12:36 PM, Vic K2VCO wrote:
>> Alpha's email newsletter talks about damage to amplifiers as a result of
>> overdrive -- the
>> example is given of amplifiers designed to produce 1500w output with 40w
>> drive being
>> driven with 150w. They say that there is a log maintained by the firmware
>> which records
>> overdrive incidents and that they won't repair damage caused by this kind of
>> abuse under
>> warranty.
>>
>> I am sympathetic to their attitude and don't approve of the philosophy that
>> all knobs
>> should always be set to 11. But sometimes it's unintentional.
>>
>> My question -- and maybe there's an Alpha employee on the list who wants to
>> answer -- is
>> "isn't it possible to make an overdrive protection circuit that will cause
>> the amplifier
>> to fault fast enough to protect the tubes and components?"

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/