[Amps] 3CX1500A vs el cheapo GS-35B

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] 3CX1500A vs el cheapo GS-35B
From: Robert Briggs <vk3zl@bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 12:38:08 +1000
Oh boy,  what a bunch of grizzlers...I am having a real chuckle at some
of the garbage being spouted here regarding the GS-35B tube...We are
talking about a reasonably cheap to buy tube that amateurs can
afford....Ok, it's not made in the grand ol' US of A therefore it must
be junk..Sorry to burst your bubble gents..I will warrant the majority
of hams who roll their own are watching this thread with the same
amusement that I am..

Ask most of the thousand hams around the world who use this tube if they
consider it second rate....The majority will be laughing with me..

In regards to cooling this tube once more you have to look outside the
box...90cfm is ample air to keep this tube cool...I have my own way to
achieve this and it is very efficient..You won't have proper cooling of
a tube without some air noise...Live with it..If you can't hear some air
noise then you are probably not using enough air or your amp is remote
somewhere away from the shack...

In regards to connections to the cathode, make up some good brass
clamps....I seal and pressurise the top RF deck and the same with the
cathode compartment....It only needs a small fan mounted on the bottom
cover directly under the tube to keep the cathode assembly cool...I
machine a socket out of solid 1/2inch thick aluminum to mount the tube
grid and this is bolted directly to the chassis floor...I have never
seen any heat failure using these methods..

So for all practical purposes the GS-35B tube is a winner and if
attention is spent designing your layout you will have a good
amplifier..This also goes for the GS-31, GI-6 and 7B triodes...I would
guess that most of the nay sayers have never really taken the time to
check these tubes out or really don't have much idea of what they are
doing..

Regarding the 8877....A fine tube but generally priced way out of the
average hams wallet...You can buy pulls I suppose but then it is at your
own risk if that expensive second hand tube expires...I have a number of
new 8877 sitting here but I am not particularly interested in using them
when I can get by with GS- tubes..

Bob..VK3ZL..