Re: [Amps] non traditional linear

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] non traditional linear
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 03:00:58 -0400
On 8/12/2012 9:50 PM, Chris Miller wrote:
> Ha!  I love it!  Finally a use for all those blasted left over xt cases.
> Just imagine the fun you could have with one of those high end cases with
> all the extra lights.  Gears are turning...  Now where is that old PC? :-D

Old PC?

My new ones are larger than my QRO amp and weight about 2/3rds as much.
I can't say they'd be much quieter though.  They keep the noise down by
lots of aperture and low velocity.  I'm sitting between two of them and
I can't hear a conversation from the next room.  They have a total of 9
fans each.  3 in front for the drives, One for the CPU, two rear exhaust
fast of which one is in the PS. Then there is one 140 mm exhaust on top
and two squirrel cage fans on the video cards.  Those video cards sound
like a jet engine starting up until they kick into low blower.  They
really sing.  The DX-2 and DX-3sp amps are still quieter.

These run quad core Athlons running at 3.7 Gig in normal mode. They'll
run 4.2 Gig at the flick of a switch.

I've been really tempted to go with liquid cooling  to quiet them down
and to get the heat out of the room. Close the door and it'll hit 85 to
90F in about an hour in here.

At least they aren't as noisy as the old high speed, 90 mm fans were.

Oh! and they run around 7 TB each for storage and use SSDs for boot
drives.  Now that 250 Gig SSDs are available for reasonable prices, I'll
probably replace the boot drives with those and run dual boot with Win 7
and FEDORA LINUX.  You can use separate boot drives and select them from
the boot menu or BIOS

I just reuse the cases but every few years they finally end up with
every thing inside being replaced. Typically they end up completely
rebuilt every 3 to 4 years.

73

Roger (K8RI)