Re: [Amps] FW: Transformer power rating guess(timate) and "stand-off" IR

To: AMPS <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] FW: Transformer power rating guess(timate) and "stand-off" IR responding thermometers
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 08:20:05 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:
On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 20:20:38 -0700 (PDT), Robert wrote:

>I bought one on Ebay for under $30 or so - a gun type device with an LED for
>aiming.  Take a look on eBay for item #110937511368.

REPLY:
Those things are great. I use one in the kitchen for cooking all the time.

If you want an interesting lesson in physics, go outdoors on a nice warm day and
point it straight up. You'd expect to read the local air temp, but not so.
You'll get a reading well below zero. You're reading the average temp of all the
air above you and maybe even a bit of outer space. Cool. (pun intended)

73, Bill W6WRT