[Amps] Input tuning, 3-500z

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Input tuning, 3-500z
From: Jim Valdes <jvaldes@whoi.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 09:30:33 -0500
I'm working on an older Henry 2K-3 (2 x 3-500z) amplifier. On a few bands the best SWR I can achieve on the input side is above 2:1. In the days of tube finals this was fine for the exciter however the solid state transceivers don't like this. I understand how to tune the output with no power applied to the amplifier, can the input be tuned in a similar fashion? How do you determine the input impedance? What is the correct procedure? I've located a couple of schematics for other 3-500z amplifiers, but the input circuits vary significantly. The Henry used an L on 10m and Pi networks on the other bands with tunable inductors.
Any suggestions?

Jim, WA1GPO