Re: [Amps] Freescale LDMOS devices / load mismatch survival

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Freescale LDMOS devices / load mismatch survival
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 23:17:43 -0400
On 3/10/2013 10:57 PM, Leigh Turner wrote:

Yes I do concur here George; that's an impressive device survivability
capability all right!

Nevertheless, as an amplifier designer using this device I'd still build-in
the aforementioned ancillary sensing and protection and shut down circuity
to safeguard against abnormal antenna load impedance, excessive Id current,
drain breakdown voltage, or adverse thermal conditions, etc.

This to me seems entirely reasonable to shut things down whenever parameters
go out of whack and deviate outside their safe zone limits. It's all too
easy to see right before your eyes a hard-earned thousand dollars or more
literally evaporating in milliseconds.... :-(

In "the old days" we didn't put any protection in unless it was maybe a glitch resisto. 8877's, nothing, generally not even for tetrodes.

Now days Tetrodes and even triodes are well protected, so why not do the same for solid state devices?

73

Roger (K8RI)
Consequently rugged and bullet-proof SS amplifiers are necessarily burdened
by fairly complex ancillary protection circuitry to try and avert mishap
fatalities from such inadvertent worst-case parameter excursions; the
inherent robustness of the MOSFET device notwithstanding...that's a bonus!

Leigh
VK5KLT