Re: [Amps] Power factor correction

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Power factor correction
From: Larry Benko <xxw0qe@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 20:34:47 -0600
Nothing is missing here at all. I posted the industry accepted formula for power factor here a few days ago. You can find it on Wikipedia. A few minutes with LTSpice will show that the power factor can be improved to nearly 100% by guaranteeing that there are no line side harmonics and that the voltage and current (fundamentals) are in phase. This harmonic reduction can be done anywhere in the circuit that achieves the line side goals. The problem is that the passive circuitry to achieve a high power factor is large (expensive) and only is optimized at one load current and that may be a problem. Look at any of the "good" (as in with real specs) switching power supplies and you will see that the power factor for these also varies with load but not by the amount that brute force solution does.

I think that most of the people discussing this topic to the point of ridiculousness would understand it easily if they would learn how to use any of the several free circuit analysis programs available and analyze various types of supplies.

73,
Larry, W0QE