[Amps] Pre-Distortion Linearizer

To: "Amps" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Pre-Distortion Linearizer
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 08:18:02 -0400
Not exactly Motorola transistor related but the subject reminded me of this: AC2IQ has developed an interesting pre-distortion "linearizer."

http://www.qrz.com/db/AC2IQ

Linearizers have been used in the cell phone industry to more efficiently pack more digitally-modulated channels into licensed spectrum. Broadcasters have been using this technology for the last decade. Swiss ADAT was the first amateur manufacturer to use the technology in their ADT-200A transceiver. In fact, it works so well that within limits, the ADAT will sample the output of a non-linear amp, and correct for the amp's non-linearity back in the transceiver.

Apparently, AC2IQ is using an analog, rather than a digital method to achieve extreme linearity from his SD2931x16 MOSFET amp. Not sure what class the amp is biased. Scroll down to the middle of the page and you can see the result of his work. This isn't just lab performance. Folks have observed his 75m signal with no IMD "wings" on their SDR receivers.

I'm aware of digital adaptive pre-distortion techniques, but I've not seen this done using analog components. Anyone familiar with this type of circuit?

Paul, W9AC

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul" <w8aef@q.com>