Re: [Amps] S/S Amp's

To: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] S/S Amp's
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 10:27:09 -0400
The huge majority of AMers these days keep the BW to between 6-9KHz and with very low distortion the adjacent channel is quiet. I run the TS-950SD at 3200Hz per SB on both modes and the vintage gear up to about 4200 tops. Going to about 6kHz does improve intelligibility when signals are weak and that can be done before the rig with an equalizer or in the audio chain with an in-out LPF.

Even 3KHz can sound good with a D-104 or some equalizing to give a high end boost to other mikes. The worst thing is a flat response mike into a rice box with a flat response. Most vintage gear had a high side boost since they generally used cheap driver and mod iron that trimmed the bass by default.

When I was in the USN and we finally got permission to operate /MM I started running phone patches on SSB with the Collins URC-32. There were lots of repeats and I asked permission to run the old TBK with about 500W carrier of full AM; no more repeats...you all know what a kid or a female sounds like on SSB!

Carl
KM1H

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>