Re: [Amps] Direct rectification of AC mains to drive the amp,

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Direct rectification of AC mains to drive the amp,
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 17:32:39 +0000
Bill,

Power factor correction is an area I am a bit hazy on. Could someone explain
why the power factor would be different between a direct-rectified PS and a
transformer-isolated one?

I have mentioned it before, but I can explain it again: Yes, both charge the capacitor with pulses, so the difference between the two is not very large. But when there is a transformer, this transformer places both resistance and inductance in series with the circuit, moderating the intensity of the pulses, stretching them out, and even getting them a little closer to the correct phase.

Note that the transformer does this through its imperfections: Winding resistance, and leakage inductance. The better a transformer is, the worse the power factor gets! A power supply using a perfect transformer would have the same power factor as a direct, transformerless one. In reverse, a transformerless power supply's power factor can be improved by deliberatingly adding series inductance and resistance.

Manfred