Re: [Amps] Ion Pump

To: Ian White <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>, 'Hardy Landskov' <n7rt@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ion Pump
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 08:06:33 -0400
On 7/21/2014 5:37 AM, Ian White wrote:
That same Wikipedia article quotes 10^-7 to 10^-10 torr as being typical
for vacuum tubes. This is consistent with a value of 10^-8 that I'd
heard from another source.

It is also consistent with John's comment that pressures higher than
about 10^-7 torr will lead to problems with arcing, while anything lower
Although we're talking 30 years ago and techniques we used have likely changed, anything beyond 1 X 10^-7 was very difficult to acquire, time consuming, and required gold O-rings

Any volatiles were a disaster and only a few of us were allowed to work on the equipment.

73

Roger  (K8RI).
than 10^-10 requires special techniques that are time-consuming,
expensive and not suited to mass production.

<snip a whole bunch>

---
is active.