Re: [Amps] pacemakers

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] pacemakers
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2014 16:38:35 -0400
On 8/5/2014 2:08 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
With respect to the question "is it safe to use QRO if I have a pacemaker?", the
necessary assertion isn't  "some  QRO ops with
pacemakers have not experience device failure", but rather "no QRO ops with the
pacemaker you're considering will experience device
failure". Thus reports of the form "I know 3 QRO ops with pacemakers, and they're
all fine" are not helpful. Only the company that
makes the pacemaker model you're going to have implanted can tell you

That is why those of us who have them said to check with the makers. St Jude's Appears to be the highest rated and the most immune to RF.

OTOH in this case anecdotal information is quite useful when taken with the manufacturers information and it proves that not all such devices are bothered by RF. It does not prove which ones.

73

Roger (K8RI)

- whether that unit was designed to withstand the fields produced by QRO HF
amplifiers

- how they evaluated the design for its ability to tolerate QRO-generated
fields without malfunction

- how they test manufactured units for compliance with design objectives

As others here have suggested, contact the manufacturer's engineering
department. Ask the above questions. If they aren't happy to
provide answers,  consider another manufacturer.

          73,

                  Dave, AA6YQ