Re: [Amps] SPE 2K RTTY Duty Cycle

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SPE 2K RTTY Duty Cycle
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 17:43:44 -0400
It is not the lack of regulation, although that is a contributor.

The market builds and sells what the market wants. If a large enough portion of the market wanted clean signals, we'd have clean signals! But the market wants super receivers with the mistaken notion that a super receiver will make sense out of the mess on the bands. They/we hear that super crowded mess and think about receivers with sharp, steep sided selectivity. We hear what we think is receiver overload from what we think is lack of dynamic range.

SOMETIMES we are correct, but most of the time, not so much.
Super strong signals appear to cause front end overload, but most often the real problem is an over driven amp with a misconfigured exciter. In most cases, or "in all but a few cases" the problem comes from the transmitted signal, not deficiencies in the receivers.

Unfortunately many of today's hams do not have the background to know where the problem lies. What's really unfortunate is many old timers "who should know better" fall into the same trap, so receivers with Dynamic ranges, steep sided selectivity, adjacent channel rejection, and super sensitivity that is far beyond the noise floor on a quiet bad look like the ultimate answer.

Thrown into this mix is a ham's utopia. The ability to customize the characteristics of their signal. That by itself "Probably" creates more crappy signals using up space on the bands than any other. They basically added many previously unavailable ways to screw up signals.

"We know" pretty much the ideal band width as well as the upper and lower frequencies for cut off of an SSB signal. Equalization within that range should be OK, Compression is OK within limits. However, if hams can squeeze a fraction of an extra db, out, they will, be it in power or audio response. Overhead is available unused power. Never let it go to waste. That works with tubes, but is why SS rigs sound crappy.

We are unlikely to see the really good tubes used in amps on the ham bands (except for home brew and imports) because of FCC limitations of gain and power. We are unlikely to see SS legal limit amps with lots of headroom because if it's there it will be used, so to keep the price down it's not there. With the power and gain of the really good tubes and hams willingness to use what's there, those regs are unlikely to change. Although there are a few exceptions, the good tubes have a plate dissipation of 3000 watts and up.

The market shows how narcissistic people (in this case, hams) can be. We demand receivers with characteristics so good, they have long since reached the level of bragging rights only. IOW we are paying for receiver characteristics that will never prove useful until the transmitted signals are cleaned up and not even then for some. We pay dearly for things we think will help us,(that won't) but little or none to put out a cleaner signal to help everyone else. I'm ignoring contesters who intentionally distort their signals to be noticed,

BTW the FT5000 does not run hot at the rated power with that red button shoved in. That's where it is when I'm driving the amp.

73

Roger (K8RI)