Re: [Amps] SB-220 6 meter conversion parasites

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-220 6 meter conversion parasites
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 13:58:44 -0700

On Sun, 19 Jul 2015 11:03:01 -0600, you wrote:

>If I was doing it over, one change I might make is to swap the tune and
>load capacitors, like the W1QJ King Conversions. That would reduce the
>lead length from the RF choke to the blocking capacitor.

REPLY:

There is a better way, IMO, to do the conversion although it's too
late now for Steve. But for anyone else considering this, it can be
done while still using the original tune and load capacitors. I did
this on my Heath SB-1000 and it works like a charm. The trick is to
add a small coil in the anode lead which creates an L-network to step
down the plate impedance to a range that the existing tune and load
caps can handle with reasonable Q.  The technique is described in any
ARRL handbook in the last ten years or so in the amplifier chapter.  I
have pictures of my conversion which I can email to anyone interested.
Contact me directly at dezrat@outlook.com

73, Bill W6WRT