Re: [Amps] Regulated filament current

To: jtml@vla.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Regulated filament current
From: Michael Clarson <wv2zow@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 01:41:42 -0400
John: Some info.  I have an RCA Super Controlfone 450 MHz repeater using an
8122 tube, (same tube as the NCL2000 linear). It has a fancy regulator that
reduces the 13.5 V heater voltage on transmit. I checked the data sheet,
and footnote 1 is:

" Because the cathode is subjected to back bombardment as the frequency is
increased with resultant increase in temperature, the heater voltage
should, for optimum life, be reduced to a value such that at the heater
voltage obtained at minimum supply voltage conditions (all other voltages
constant) the tube performance just starts to show some degradation; e.g.,
at 470 MHz heater volts = 12.5 (approx.)"

This tube has an indirectly heated cathode. --73, Mike, WV2ZOW