Re: [Amps] Supplier for RD16HHF1 transistor ?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Supplier for RD16HHF1 transistor ?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 22:56:46 -0500
In general, bipolar transistors are about the easiest to substitute RF devices we have at our disposal. That doesn't mean there are substitutes for all specific installations, or every transistor. Typically we need to find a transistor with similar characteristics with equal or higher power handling capabilities.

With ham gear, it's often easy to match, or come close in characteristics, only to find they won't fit. When substitutes are available, don't go for higher gain, or higher frequency capability.

I'm not up on the newer FETs., MOS FETs, etc as I've done no design work in those areas.

If anyone can find one, Heathkit put out a series of semiconductor courses in large, white notebooks. That were great I used the whole series at work, but unfortunately several have disappeared. I probably loaned them, or possibly thought I'd never use them again.

I taught the trades at least several years before I left that company ion 87 so it was at least 85, or possibly 84. so 32 years, give or take. Bipolar theory hasn't changed so those books would still be relevant.

73

Roger  (K8RI)