Re: [Amps] Ceramic tube temp too low?

To: stevewrightnz@gmail.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ceramic tube temp too low?
From: Gerald Williamson via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 11:13:37 -0400
Hi Steve,
Many water cooled GS35B amplifiers are in use, mostly on 70cm. Do a  Google
search for "water cooled GS35B" and a lot of information will come  up.

The temperature concern is a non issue as the only requirement is for the
cathode to reach a proper temperature to emit electrons. All of this happens
 inside a vacuum much like a thermos bottle for hot/cold liquids.

An added benefit of water cooling at the higher frequencies is a big
reduction in frequency drift of the plate resonators, especially the strip line

type. When the are heated due to close contact with an air cooled anode,
they  change dimensions at the rate of around 20 parts per million per degree
C. While  that may not sound like much, a high Q resonator can move off
frequency enough  in a few seconds to drop the power out put 3 dB or more. It
is
not enjoyable to  operate cw sending with one hand while watching power and
adjusting the plate  tune with the other hand. Yes, I have been there and
done that.

True coaxial resonators are much more frequency stable (and efficient) but
that is another story/topic.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 3/14/2016 9:44:30 A.M. Central Daylight Time,