Re: [Amps] "Conventional" current flow and Physics 101

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] "Conventional" current flow and Physics 101
From: "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2016 16:40:33 -0600
Ron and Bill and any others interested in this thread, sorry to keep
disagreeing with you gentlemen, but I believe your skepticism about
"conventional" current is based on a misunderstanding of the concept. It has
nothing to do with a "mistake" about the sign of the electron.  Let me try
to explain, starting with where I think we agree.

Yes, electric current as understood by scientists and engineers is a defined
quantity, and in that respect it is "imaginary."  It is a mathematical
abstraction which turns out to be hugely important to understanding the laws
of nature and the operation of electronic circuits. In some ways "current"
is analogous to "temperature," or "wind," or "pressure," which also are
defined abstract quantities. This is what I meant when I said that electric
current is a "statistical" quantity. An electric current is only defined in
the context of the average flow of large numbers of charge carriers. "Wind"
is a similar concept, so let me use that as an example.

When a wind blows through a window, we know the wind is made up of a huge
number of air molecules. These molecules move at a speed of hundreds of feet
per second, and they travel in all directions, colliding and bouncing off
each other every micron or so. Even if the air is completely still, the
molecules are moving and colliding, and exchanging kinetic energy. This is
the thermal motion of the air, and the air temperature is a measure of how
frenetic that motion is. If the air is nearly a vacuum, however, with only a
few air molecules, then it doesn't make sense to speak of wind, or air
temperature, or air pressure, because those quantities have no meaning
unless there is a large enough number of molecules to have an averaging
effect.

It's the same way with electric current. The beam current in a CRT, for
example, is only defined in terms of the average behavior of large numbers
of electrons. Those electrons travel from the CRT cathode to the phosphor
screen, where they are collected and returned to the power supply. The beam
current can be measured by an ammeter in the cathode lead, but one can't
describe the motion of individual electrons by that current. So yes,
individual elections are emitted by the cathode and strike the phosphor
screen after a transit time. However, the current flows in the reverse
direction, because the current (a) only pertains to the average motion of
zillions of elections, and (b) the direction of the current is arbitrarily
defined to be the direction of positively charged carriers, even if the
actual carriers are negatively charged electrons. It's the same with plate
current in a vacuum tube. The current flows inside the tube from plate to
cathode, even though the electrons move in the opposite direction. By the
way, the technical term for the motion of individual electrons in a vacuum
tube, or CRT, is called "ballistic motion," which means that the electrons
are moving without colliding with anything during their trajectory.

So what's the point of defining a quantity that seems so counterintuitive?
Turns out there are very important reasons. First, electric current doesn't
depend on the sign of the carriers, and that's a good thing. It would be
horribly confusing if we had to keep track of electrons, holes, protons (as
in a particle accelerator), ions (as in a battery), solar wind (a mix of all
kinds of charged particles), every time we wanted to describe something's
electrical properties. There are just as many positive charges in the
universe as negative charges (so far as we know), so there's no reason to
give preference to one polarity over the other. Intuitively, the positive
sign convention makes good sense. An electric field from a positively
charged particle radiates outwards from the particle, which seems more
natural than having electric field lines converge in on the particle from
infinity. The forces on moving charges created by a magnetic field can be
described by a so-called "right hand rule," which is easy to remember since
most people are right-handed. Similarly the direction of the magnetic field
lines created by an electric current is described by another
right-hand-rule. And for ham operators, it's very intuitive to think of
current as flowing out of the positive terminal of a battery or B+ supply
and returning to ground and eventually back into the negative terminal.
Kirchhoff's law (which states that the steady state current flowing into a
node (junction) has to leave the node at the same rate) is at the heart of
all circuit theory. That law depends on current flow being independent of
the sign of the underlying charge carriers. There are many other reasons why
"conventional" current is an essential concept.

Part of the confusion about current flow versus charge motion is actually
the fault of the US Army. Back in WWII days, army training manuals often
confused the two concepts, ultimately misleading generations of electronic
techs. Some of the drawings in those days showed current flowing out of the
negative terminal of a battery through a resistor and into the positive
terminal. That's true for electrons, but not for the electric current!

73,
Jim W8ZR