Re: [Amps] Sad State of the Hobby

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Sad State of the Hobby
From: Lee Bahr <L@w0vt.us>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 21:18:15 -0600
I'm not a beginner.  Been a ham for 64 years.  However I have never built a legal limit Solid State Amp.  I have thrown my name in the hat with my friend Mike and both w5mp and w0vt are going to build two of them.  We appreciate the info some have provided.  We are now educating ourselves and will build when no longer babes in the woods.  If anything,  solid state amps appear to becoming easier to build. Seems like many commercial ham solid state amps are using really old technology.  Mike and I don't want blinking LED lamps and LED bar graph meters and automatic band switching. Analog meters with a band switch for us!  Leaving this stuff off will make things much simpler and less complicated.   Less things to go wrong.  Here in Houston Mike and I have been using a local aluminum machine shop to fabricate our chassis and cabinets for prior projects.  They have done beautiful custom work at reasonable costs with fast turn around.   So our projects will be nicely housed.  We are both looking forward to the effort.  Right now we are anticipating the cost to be around $1500.

Lee, w0vt