Re: [Amps] Dielectric grease for roller inductors?

To: "Kim Elmore" <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>, "Tom Hellem" <tom.hellem@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Dielectric grease for roller inductors?
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2020 09:06:18 -0800
##  already  read  it  several  times  in  the  last  year....  +  JIs
comments  on  qrz +  qth.    Conducto  lube  is  75%  pure  silver  and  25%
castor  oil......  NO  grease used.    The  silver  plated  edge  wound  roller
 + 1  inch  square  silver  plated cu  tube  +  end pieces,  all  use sliding
contacts.....  everything is  silver  plated.  Sliding  contacts  ride  on
both  sides  of the  .375 inch, edge  wound  roller.    My old  roller  used a
pair  of  pulleys and a HUGE  SPRING between em to put a  lot of pressure  on
the  pulleys..which  ride  on  the  EDGE of  the  edge  wound  roller.

##  conducto  lube  is  used  in  industry  for  sliding  contacts  that  are
silver  plated.   noalox,  graphite,  penatrox, etc, are  not  used  on silver
plated  anything.     At  the  telco  I  worked  at,  we  used...  copper  kote
on  copper  buss  bars....  which  were  bolted.   Copper  powder in  grease.

##  Im  up  for a  good  experiment.   I  have  2  of  these  silver  plated
rollers.  so  one  with dielectric  grease..and  the  other  with  conducto
lube.  Apx  15A  flowing through  the  roller..in  the  hb  amp.

##  Below  is  from  jis site In  the  url.
Jim   VE7RF

    Contact arcs have the ability to alter composition of greases. Silicone
greases can be converted by arcs to silicone carbide, which is highly abrasive.
For this reason, SILICONE  GREASE  should be avoided when contacts are "hot
switched" and have ANY  chance of arcing.

 The suspended powder creates a problem that does not exist with dielectric
grease. The suspended metal must be FULLY  COMPATIBLE  with the metals being
clamped. This means conductive grease is application specific. If the metals
being clamped are incompatible with the grease's suspended metal powder, the
connection will eventually fail. This is what happened in our CATV system
connectors. The connections were a mix of copper, aluminum, and steel. The
cable shields were aluminum, the trunk center conductors cables were copper
clad aluminum. Drop cables were aluminum shields and connectors, with copper
clad steel centers. Our records showed a much higher incidence of corrosion
failure using conductive grease. Corrosion failure rate dropped significantly,
almost to zero, when we switched to pure dielectric grease.

In bolted or clamped connections,  I have no opinion if conductive greases help
or are necessary. I feel like they help, but I'm not sure if that is true. I
use Noalox on clamped aluminum slip joints in antennas because it is generally
less expensive than silicone dielectric greases and it appears to last longer.
I NEVER use conductive greases on push fit electrical connectors, or if I am
unsure of metal to grease compatibility.
Conductive greases should specifically match materials being clamped.
Conductive greases should never be used in low pressure electrical connectors,
or in connectors with multiple terminals