Re: [Amps] Why does power output increase?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Why does power output increase?
From: Victor Rosenthal 4X6GP <k2vco.vic@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2022 21:09:04 +0300
On 06/06/2022 20:24, jim.thom jim.thom@telus.net wrote:

##  How hot does the plate xfmr get, when running 1400 watts out on CW ??

Not very hot. I have a bias control circuit that cuts the tubes off completely when the key is up.

<snip>

##  do you have  50 hz, or  60 hz power ?  If it's only 50 hz, the fan in
the TL-922 will run quite a bit slower, with much less RPM..and cooling.

When I got the TL922 (in the US where it's 60 Hz) I thought the fan was very, very quiet. And it didn't seem to do too much. I replaced it with a somewhat louder one that moves a lot of air. I use phones so it doesn't bother me. Here we have 50 Hz power, so I'm glad I did that.

<snip>

##  I think your power shooting up 200 watts is a tube issue. (one or both
tubes).

I think it's either tubes or the input network.

## You could leave the resistor in the primary of the fil xfmr.... as long
as you shunt it out on TX.

I took it out. The voltage is under the high limit in standby. I am going to set up a filtering arrangement so I can measure it under full load.

73,
Victor, 4X6GP
Rehovot, Israel
CWops #5