Re: [Amps] .01uf caps across diodes ?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] .01uf caps across diodes ?
From: Victor Rosenthal 4X6GP <k2vco.vic@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 10:48:31 +0200
During the early 1960s I worked at a BC station where we had a 5 kW FM transmitter. It had a full-wave bridge rectifier consisting of 4 boards, each of which had some 16 400-piv diodes on it. I think (but don't remember for sure) that DC plate voltage was about 3200. I think the boards had a resistor across each diode. Every once in a while there would be a sound like an M16 on full automatic as the diodes on one of the boards would let go. Replacement boards came with capacitors, which I believe solved the problem.

73,
Victor, 4X6GP
Rehovot, Israel
Formerly K2VCO