Re: [Amps] .01uf caps across diodes ?

To: "'Tim Duffy'" <k3lr@k3lr.com>, "'Ron W4BIN'" <ka4inm@gmail.com>, "'amp'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] .01uf caps across diodes ?
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@largeriver.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 16:08:01 -0600
Hi Tim,

Years ago I built a receiver and needed a power supply but the transformer I
had was to much voltage. So rather than just a capacitive input filter I put
a choke of a few henrys between the diodes and the filter capacitor to drop
the voltage some. That worked fine but I had this hash noise that I couldn't
find. Turns out it was rectifier hash. I put a .o1 or .02 capacitor on  the
input side of the choke go B-. That solved the problem of the hash from the
rectifiers.

Most amp power supplies are capacitor input type so the filter cap absorbs
the diode switching transients.
Back in the early days of solid state diodes I remember it being recommended
that they should not be used with a choke input filter.

The only amps that I can think of are the Henry amps that have a choke input
in the filter. However they use a tuned choke so there is a capacitor across
it which effectively shorts any transients to the main filter capacitor.

73
Gary  K4FMX