Re: [Antennaware] unknown coax cable

To: "Allan Greening" <vk3pa@vk3pa.com>, <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] unknown coax cable
From: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 08:46:33 -0500
Allan,

Does the coax have two shields -- e.g. is there a shield around the inner
dielectric, then the second dielectric, and another shield over that? If so,
it's "triaxial" cable with an isolated shield for hum reduction. It's video
cable, so it's 75 ohms (+/-). For RF, you can affix the connector to both
shields.

If the two dielectrics are adjacent, then I don't know for sure. The second
layer could be a stiffener. The only two-layer dielectric I've seen is a
spiral "semi-air" inner dielectric with a solid dielectric sheath around it
to support the shield braid.

I'd also check to see if it's fiber optic cable. They usually have multiple
layers, and the conductors might be there for armor or DC supply.

73, Gary
K9AY