[Antennaware] Two Boston-area talks about antennas, 5/13/09

To: <Antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: [Antennaware] Two Boston-area talks about antennas, 5/13/09
From: "Andy" <ingraham.ma.ultranet@rcn.com>
Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 17:42:08 -0400
This coming Wednesday, 13 May 09, there are two IEEE-sponsored presentations
related to antennas in the Boston, MA (USA) area:

"The Plasma Antenna - Now you see it, now you don't"
Dr. Igor Alexeff, Professor Emeritus, University of Tennessee, Knoxville,
Distinguished Lecturer, NPSS Society
Our plasma antenna is a fluorescent lamp from the local hardware store. When
on, it receives ordinary FM and AM signals. When off, it electrically
disappears and becomes invisible to RADAR. Our work on plasma antennas has been
supported by two phase 2 SBIR grants from the US Air Force and the US Army. We
have made many significant advances in theory and practice, the most important
of which is that a plasma antenna under the proper operating conditions has
much lower thermal noise than metal antennas in the same operating frequency
range. We have constructed an intelligent plasma antenna, which searches in
azimuth for a desired signal. When a desired signal is found, the plasma
antenna locks onto the desired signal, ignoring signals arriving at other
azimuthal angles. When the desired signal disappears, the intelligent plasma
antenna recommences scanning (movie).
Professor Alexeff graduated from Harvard in physics in 1952, and received his
PhD degree from the University of Wisconsin in nuclear physics in 1959. He also
passed the Tennessee State License Exam, and is a registered professional
engineer. He has worked at the Westinghouse Research Laboratory on nuclear
submarines, at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory in controlled thermonuclear
fusion, and at the University of Tennessee in industrial plasma engineering. He
has worked overseas for extended periods in Switzerland, Japan, India, South
Africa, and Brazil. He has done considerable work for the Institute of
Electrical and Electronics Engineers, and was a co – founder of the IEEE
Nuclear and Plasma Sciences Society. He was president of that society in 1999 –
2000. He is a Fellow of the IEEE and of The American Physical Society. He has
over 100 refereed publications, 19 issued patents and published a book.

He has spent considerable time recently on plasma stealth antennas, and is
listed on several patents issued to the ASI Technology Corporation.

This meeting is sponsored by the IEEE Nuclear and Plasma Sciences Society
Distinguished Lecturers Program and IEEE North Shore Subsection.  Meeting time
will be Wednesday, May 13th, 2009 at 6:30 PM at the University Massachusetts
Lowell, Lowell, MA 01854, Ball 412.  Refreshments will be served at 6:30 PM and
the talk will begin at 7:00 PM.  Following the lecture there will be a no host
dinner held at a local restaurant.

Directions: To UMass Lowell North Campus from the Lowell Connector: From the
Connector, take Exit 5B onto Thorndike St. After four traffic lights (1/2
mile), Thorndike St. bears right and becomes Dutton St. Continue on Dutton St.
about 1/2 mile to Merrimack Street by City Hall. Proceed straight onto Arcand
Drive. At the end of Arcand Drive, the Tsongas Arena is straight ahead. Turn
left at the traffic light onto Morissette Blvd. Wannalancit Mills is one block
on the right. Proceed to the second light at Aiken Street. UML East, Lelacheur
Ball Park and the Campus Recreation Center are on the right. On Morissette
Blvd., continue to the third light and turn right onto the University Ave
Bridge. Once across the bridge, UMass Lowell North is on either side of the
road.

All are welcome to attend the meeting and if you're planning to attend please
call or contact:  Prof. Dikshitulu Kalluri (978) 934-3318 or
dikshitulu_kalluri@uml.edu or Constantine Taki Markos (781) 883-0179 or
ctm@ieee.org

The other talk is partly about MoM, or Method of Moments, which is the
technique used in NEC (EZNEC, etc.) for simulating antennas:

"MoM and FDTD electromagnetic modeling in MATLAB"
Sergey N. Makarov
This talk discusses results and challenges of antenna and electromagnetic
modeling in MATLAB including the 3D MoM solver and a 2D FDTD solver. The MoM
solver requires two external LAPACK subroutines to be compiled in MATLAB. The
problems to be considered:

  1.. Small antennas (MoM)

  2.. Antenna to antenna link (MoM)

  3.. Patch antenna (MoM)

  4.. Antenna array (MoM)

  5.. Indoor propagation (FDTD)

In every case (except for #5), we compare the MATLAB MoM performance with the
performance of the commercial package Ansoft HFSS with regard to its execution
speed and accuracy. The freeware MATLAB 64bit solvers discussed in this talk
have been written by graduate students of the Antenna Lab in the ECE Department
at WPI.

Sergey N. Makarov (M'98-SM'06) earned his B.S./M.S./Ph.D./Dr. Sci. degrees at
the St. Petersburg (Leningrad) State University, Russian Federation -
Department of Mathematics and Mechanics where he became a professor in 1996 -
the youngest full professor of the Faculty. In 2000 he joined the Faculty in
the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Worcester Polytechnic
Institute, MA where he became a full professor and director of the Center for
Electromagnetic Modeling and Design at WPI in 2008. His current research
interests include practical antenna design, computational and analytical
electromagnetics, and educational aspects of electromagnetics and wireless
power transfer.

The meeting will be held at the MIT Lincoln Laboratory Cafeteria in Lexington,
MA.  Refreshments will be served at 5:30; the talk will begin at 6:00 pm. The
talk is open to the general public.

Directions to Lincoln Laboratory Cafeteria from points north: Take I-95/128
south to exit 31B, Routes 4 & 225 towards Bedford. Stay in right lane and use
the right turning lane (0.3 miles) to access Hartwell Ave at first traffic
light. Follow Hartwell Ave to the end; take a left onto Wood Street (just
before the AFB gate). Lincoln Laboratory entrance is 0.5 miles on right. The
entrance to the cafeteria is on the lower level left of the main entrance.

For more information contact John Sandora ( jsandora@ll.mit.edu ).