Re: [Antennaware] Help! Which One

To: "'K9AY'" <k9ay@k9ay.com>, <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] Help! Which One
From: "Stephen Kangas" <stephen@kangas.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 16:12:41 -0700
Gary's correct that radials make a tremendous difference in vertical antenna
performance.  Typically, verticals have a lower take-off angle, which is
advantageous for HF DX work.  However, some horizontal designs also exhibit
low take-off angles, esp with height.  The horizontals have the advantage
over verticals of concentrating radiated power in the "desired" direction,
ie more gain, which also provides for better HF DX performance.  Personally,
I have the most success, particularly at this low point in the sunspot
cycle, with horizontal designs...and the Super Loop and Carolina Windom
designs are among the best I've used.  Unfortunately, I have had extreme
difficulty accurately modeling those, esp the Super Delta Loop, on anything
less than a very expensive modeling program (mostly because of the ladder
line trap/phaser in the middle of the top wire and how it interacts with the
rest of the antenna).  I am currently building a second such loop with
relay-controlled feeds to make a switchable directional driven/reflector
element arrangement for even more gain.

Someone mentioned that your topographic situation is a heavy determining
factor, and I support that...if you have the trees or towers to get a
horizontal polarized antenna up high enough ("high enough" and wide enough
depends upon the band (in the case of an 80/40/40 Super Delta Loop the top
wire should be up at least 100ft and you should have at least 120ft length
available), then I'd go with that.  If not, then you still have to figure
out how to get an unloaded vertical up high enough anyway (probably means
pouring concrete).

Stephen W9SK