Re: [Antennaware] Installing a Hy-Gain AV-18HT vertical - severalquestio

To: "Shon Edwards" <sre.1966@gmail.com>, <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] Installing a Hy-Gain AV-18HT vertical - severalquestions, especially about radials
From: "Larry Banks" <larryb.w1dyj@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 11:47:13 -0500
Hi Shon,

I can give you some info about radials.  LB's web site
http://www.cebik.com/gp/gr.html -- cited by Jim, KG0KP -- has similar
information as the ARRL Antenna book and a lot more.  W6RMK's comment...
---------------
  Most people ultimately decide to just lay down as much wire as they
  have, running it as far as seems practical (e.g. to a lot line or some
  natural barrier).  There's probably not much value in extending a whole
  lot more than the antenna height.
---------------
...is probably the best practical advice.

I'll quote from the ARRL Antenna book:
Practical Suggestions For Vertical Ground Systems

At least 16 radials should be used if at all possible.
Experimental measurements and calculations show that with
this number, the loss resistance decreases the antenna efficiency
by 30% to 50% for a 0.25 wavelength vertical, depending on
soil characteristics. In general, a large number of radials (even
though some or all of them must be short) is preferable to a
few long radials for a vertical antenna mounted on the ground.
The conductor size is relatively unimportant as mentioned
before: #12 to #22 copper wire is suitable.
  a.. If you install only 16 radials  they
  need not be very long - 0.1 lambda is sufficient.
  b.. If you have the wire, the space and the patience to lay
  down 120 radials (optimal configuration), they should
  be 0.4 lambda long. This radial system will gain about 3 dB
  over the 16-radial case.
  c.. If you install 36 radials that are 0.15 lambda long, you will
  lose 1.5 dB compared to optimal configuration.
---------------------

As for coax, I mostly use LMR-240 for HF.  LMR-400 is better, especially at 12
and 10M.  The antenna book also has attenuation/100' for many coax types for
various frequencies.

Grounding -- the radials give you the "RF Ground."  For lightening protection
you do need ground rods.  Most hams suggest three around the base of the
vertical -- and they must be connected to the ground system at your shack,
which must be connected to the electrical ground system at the electrical
entrance.  Use #4 or #6 copper for these grounds runs.

The best way to learn all of this stuff is to buy and study the ARRL Antenna
Book.

Hope this helps!

73,
Larry