[Antennaware] Bobtails Half Squares with a twist

To: antennaware@contesting.com
Subject: [Antennaware] Bobtails Half Squares with a twist
From: Lonney Harper via Antennaware <antennaware@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 19:46:18 GMT
Hi,

I'm new here,

I caught the low band DX bug a few months ago - specifically 80 and 40m. I
would post this idea/question to the top band reflector, but its stated they're
160m only, and this is not a 160m band antenna.

My goal is some gain in SW/NE directions on both bands from one antenna - space
is limited, and I want to keep the place visually appealing with-in reason -
e.g. limit the number of antennas, keep them simple and neat.

I have read most of ON4UN's low band DX book, and pondered many different
ideas. The half squares and bobtails I like, these are voltage fed and current
maximums are up high. But to orientate them for SW/NE requires some
infrastructure investment as I don't have trees in the right places :-\ I have
however come up with a way to configure a 40m bobtail to function as a half
square on 80m - that project is going to wait for another day due to the effort
required for the end supports in my situation.

Now, with end-fire antennas, life is much easier when it comes to trying things
out due to where trees are etc :-)

By chance I stumbled upon this a few days ago, looks like its from an old book:

https://www.n4lcd.com/wireantennas/132-Double_Bobtail_Ant_20m.jpg

Essentially its a 20m Half Square with a 180 degree phase shift which causes it to
become end-fire. I wonder if anyone has built and used one, or for the more
knowledgeable will it even work as advertised? I've never seen this trick with the
phase shift in a half square before anywhere.

I'd scale it for 40m and operate it in the end fire mode. Per ON4UN's low band DX
book, if the far end of a half square is grounded it operates as two top loaded in
phase verticals at half the frequency - in my case 80m. This also produces an
end-fire pattern (with the phase shifting section isolated and bypassed). Basically
a dual band antenna with some switched matching at the feed point and far end as
needed for each band resulting in end fire patterns on both bands.

Comments, suggestions, thoughts?

- Lonney
KL3NO
Puyallup WA