NA QP and call areas

Subject: NA QP and call areas
From: larryt@rocky.ateq.com (Larry Tyree x 7210)
Date: Mon Aug 3 11:16:12 1992
I was on in the "Brief periods of furious activity" category.  There
was not enough activity to support operating more than 15 minutes most
of the time.  Had the most fun on 40/80 as the smaller windows of
operating time concentrated the few stations that were on into one
place.

As far as call areas, the whole thing rests with the DX op.  If he
wants to use peoples shoe sizes, that is up to him.  As an occasional
DX op, it really pisses me off when people in the US tell others how
to operate.  There are different cultures out there, and it is not up
to us to tell them.  Just be glad they went to the trouble to get on
the air.

Persoanlly, I would fell like I was defeated if I had to use a "filter"
in a pileup that I was running.  The best way to make sure everyone works
you is to keep the rate up and work as many people as you can.  There
are lots of QRP QSLs in the shoebox that I have received while being
rare DX.

The best thing to do instead of call areas, is probably split frequency
operation.  This is always a better approach in my opinion.

Larry "TREE" Tyree  N6TR          _.  _....  _  ._.  _.._.  __...
islabs!ateq!larryt@sequent.com
work (503) 526-7210      home (503) 658-6012      fax (503) 526-7202

My views are not those of General Motors, IBM, HP or most other sane people.