80M Ant Help

Subject: 80M Ant Help
From: WEBSTER_KER@CSUSYS.CTSTATEU.EDU (WEBSTER_KER@CSUSYS.CTSTATEU.EDU)
Date: Mon Aug 9 13:30:00 1993
Well, It's frustration time again. I just put up an 80 M 1/2 square that
resulted in dismal preformance. First of all, maybe someone can tell me where I
went wrong (if anywhere). The antenna is 67 feet on each vertical leg, and 134
feet between leg. The antenna between my tower and a tree in the back yard, so
one leg is about 5 feet away from the tower. The antenna is about 64 feet above
ground (and if your math is as good as mine, yes there is about 3 feet of the
vertical section laying on the ground). I cut the antenna for 3.75 Mhz, and
that
is where the lowest SWR is. Now the problem... the SWR won't go below 2.5:1,
and
is very narrow banded (a few Khz, at best). Even when I run it thru the tuner,
the performance is no better than my G5RV.

As a side note, is anyone out there using a 80M antenna that they would
recommend? I'm starting to get desperate! Thanks....
Kevin N1EPU
      [WEBSTER_KER@CCSU.CTSTATEU.EDU]