(none)

Subject: (none)
From: Bruce@g4wvx.demon.co.uk (Bruce StJ C Gilson)
Date: Thu Aug 18 01:18:06 1994
SUBSCRIBE Bruce@g4wvx.demon.co.uk

>From Morao Esteban <z801183a@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us>  Thu Aug 18 01:35:50
>1994
From: Morao Esteban <z801183a@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us> (Morao Esteban)
Subject: Looking for operator?

Hi
If you are seeking for an operator eaither for expedition or contest, pse
e-mail me.

73 de Steve W4/YV5DTA

From: ken.silverman@atlas.ccmail.AirTouch.COM (ken silverman) (ken silverman)
Subject: 160 Meter J-Poles - Kites - Baloons etc.

I first sent this to Victor, but then thought it might be
interesting to all.  My point of view is from launching a
balloon from a dx-pedition site.  Usually materials are hard to
get, are expensive, and most power lines are ABOVE ground.

Victor,

Sounds FB, but you are going to have many obsticles to overcome
first.  I've tried to organize a baloon many times from a number
of different countries/expeditions, and never got one up for the
following reasons:

1)  Helium Balloons/blimps do NOT fly well with any type of
breeze/wind (which you stated was normally present).  They tend
to blow over very easily.  (watch out for those power lines!)

2)  If you purchase a new blimp, it runs hundreds of dollars.
The weather balloons I have cost $45 back some 8 years ago, but
are difficult to anchor the line to, and dont have a big lift
weight.

3)  Try getting helium where you're going.  You can get some??
Well, now try to get AFFORDABLE helium.  A typical tank overseas
will run you $250 and up.  You will buy the full tank of helium,
even if you dont use it all.  All helium is imported from the
USA.

Regardless of the balloon, they all should have a dead weight
lift specification.  Make sure you calculate your wire and rope
tether weights correctly.

Kites:

No direct expereince, but should stay aloft during any kind of
breeze/wind.  Best starting point is an article in Antenna
Compendium II, though it may be in the first Compendium.

Not to be a bummer, but we've tried on numerous occasions, and
came up blank on this one.  If you found a way to beat the
system, would love to hear about it.

Regards, Ken WM2C

ken.silverman@atlas.ccmail.airtouch.com