Lightning.....yawn

Subject: Lightning.....yawn
From: paul@paccomm.com (paul@paccomm.com)
Date: Wed Jun 21 11:38:18 1995
Sorry. After all the traffic on lightning I thought I would
put in my two-penny worth......

Personally, I have never been pursuaded by the argument that you
should ground ANYTHING for lightning protection. Why attach a nice
healthy fat ground to a tower to ATTRACT the lightning? This
isn't lightning protection - this is lightning ATTRACTION!

See the case of the guy who had his tower hit every time a storm
came by.....  saving his nieghbours from being hit!!!!!!!!!

For this reason, I consider anybody who spends time and money
on all this PolyPhaser garbage as wasting their time and money....
completely!

As for the base exploding stuff .....  well, most of the towers in
the USA are healthily guyed (you see very few free standing).
With a guyed tower, it's not (or shouldn't be) the BASE that's keeping
the thing up!

The only cracks I've seen in a tower base was when the concrete
dries too quickly in the Sun.....

Finally. Taking a leaf out of the sailing book.....  The same
crazy situation exists there. One argument goes that lightning
will hit the mast and if the rigging isn't connected through to
a hull plate, a hole will be blown in the bottom of the boat
as the bolt tries to reach the sea.....

Again, like the exploding base, NO ONE EVERY SEEMS TO BE ABLE TO
SUBSTANTIATE THIS MYTH.....

>From the manual supplied with all boats made by Catalina Yachts:

The merits of grounding the rigging system and ground bonding
are controversial. Many different configurations may exist.
As the merits of this method have not be substantiated Catalina
Yachts manufactures the hull without bonding.
The owner is responsible for fitting ground bonding and any
consequences of so doing.....  or words to that effect.

IN OTHER WORDS .... we don't do it because it's not necessary and
if you do do it then whatever happens is YOUR fault (if you
attract lightning to your boat and you're hit, you're responsible!).

I have been at sea with a non-bonded boat (not mine) and lightning
was pitching into the sea EVERYWHERE around us. I still maintain
that we did not get hit in seemingly 100% chances because we
weren't waving a 50' high lightning conductor around!!!!!!!!!

When a lightning bolt lands feet away from you several times
in the space of minutes and you have a 50' metal mast in the
air and you don't get hit, I think that proves the point.......

Paul Evans, W4/G4BKI   paul@paccomm.com  +1 (813) 874-2980
Fax:+1 (813) 872-8696 Views expressed here are not necessarily    |\
those of PacComm. I don't surf the internet, I SAIL IT!          /| \
Cptn of S/V "Spindrift" (Catalina 36), Dunedin, FL.             / |  \
PacComm Packet Radio Systems,Inc.,                             /  |   \
4413 N.Hesperides St., Tampa, FL 33614-7618                   /   |    \