K3ZO's "don't ask first" philosophy

Subject: K3ZO's "don't ask first" philosophy
From: JPontek@aol.com (JPontek@aol.com)
Date: Fri Aug 11 09:54:45 1995

>Amen ... however, what about the two radio crowd that was off on another
>band working the mult and now comes back to what you thought was a clear
>frequency but he considers it his run frequency? instant war ... push
>that F1 again. Progress is a neat thing.

You said it, HE WAS OFF ON ANOTHER FREQUENCY! When he came back, did he
listen? How many frequencies do we reserve for these fellas? You move, you
 might lose!

73, K8Joe"Palooka"
jpontek@aol.com

From: Larry Schimelpfenig <lschim@mailstorm.dot.gov> (Larry Schimelpfenig)

Prior to firing up on a frequency, I generally listen about 10 seconds and
send .. . if no one responds I send qrl? If no one reponds within about 7
seconds I Let it rip. Now by the time I've completed this process, I have
been on the frequency one way or another for 20-25 seconds. In NAQP I had
several instances where I did this and actually worked one or two stations
when someone fires up on calling cq on top of me. He/she no doubt knew I
was there, and acted as if I had encroached on them. I figured it was a
case of two radios. Regardless of the number of radios in use, I trust
that if someone vacates a frequency for 20 seconds they aren't going to
expect it to be available when they return.... If you're going to use two
radios you have to know what you're going and must be prepared to fairly face
the consequences if you can't get back to your run frequency before
someone else makes use of it.
73 de Larry in VA - lschim@mailstorm.dot.gov

From: ken@packetcluster.com (Ken Wolff) (Ken Wolff)
Subject: FT-890

I  need to borrow an FT890 for a few days to check out CT. Anybody in New
England have one they can lend?

Thanks
Ken Wolff  K1EA

From: Gary McClellan <k8ae@primenet.com> (Gary McClellan)
Subject: Missent Award

Hi Gang..

For some odd reason, the CQ Awards people mailed the
certificate for C6AFT #1 Bahamas Single Op 93' WWDX
test.  Perhaps it os a result of my incorrectly being
listed as QSL manager in some DX pubs...

And of course, it came torn in one corner because the
gang at CQ used a piece of cardboard that's smaller than
the certificate.. seems a shame.

If anyone knows who the award should go to I'll be more
than happy to forward it, otherwise I'll return it to
CQ after a few weeks.

Gary McClellan
Amateur Radio:  KD7E
Internet Addr:  k8ae@primenet.com

From: Larry Tyree <tree@cmicro.com> (Larry Tyree)
Subject: Two radio fallout

Yup, if you go away from your frequency too long, you risk loosing the
frequency.  The trick is to keep the time short enough that you are not
gone longer than the average exchange, so the person will think you were
busy copying the exchange of a station he couldn't here.

There is a positive aspect of two radios and finding clear frequencies.
When I am scanning a band that I would like to start CQing on, I can
do this more carefully when I am still CQing on another band.

Say it is dusk and I am interested in finding a frequency on 40 meters
in the SS CW (no small trick).  I scan up the band working some of the
people S&P and keep an eye out for a good run frequency.  It might
take 15 or 20 minutes, but it really doesn't matter.  Having the second
radio takes the pressure off and I can do a better job of it, as opposed
to just jumping in and muscling my way onto the band.  15 or 20 minutes
would simply be too long to wait if I was using one radio.

If I find a spot that sounds quiet, I will try a couple of CQs.  If
nobody starts complaining to be, I press Alt-R and the frequency
is (in the words of my four year old) MINE!!

This is a real big benefit to the station using two radios that I haven't
heard mentioned before.

BTW: I fixed my TS-850S by replacing the 74LS145.  I bought a good IC
socket, so the next time it won't be so bad.  I think it happened when
the two rigs were on the same band... something to watch out for.

Tree N6TR
tree@cmicro.com

From: Jerry Sidorov" <jerry@ua9ar.urc.ac.ru (Jerry Sidorov)
Subject: RK9AWN tries to use computer now.

Hi fellow contesters,

since this WAE contest RK9AWN'll have begun to use computer for contesting.
Therefore, dear friends, don't judge us too severly - we're beginners on
that kinda skill.

BTW, I bought Sound Blaster Pro 2 today and just tested it with PED. The
great program! Special thanks to Mas, JE3MAS! I promise to train with it
daily since after WAE contest, hi.

And another new: Serge, RA9AA, a member of RK9AWN crew like me, made 35150
points on RUFZ. He made 29 attempts and reach the speed of 416. The last
column is 6.988400. BTW, Tack, what does this number mean?
Therefore, Barry, you'd better wake up - Serge promises to beat your 40K
record soon, probably next week!

The result of mine is very modest - approx. 12500 points and 250 cpm.
I'll send the rfzhiscr.dta to you, Tack, on Monday or Tuesday. It depends
of how much I'll be tired after contest. The our best results are on the
club computer and right now I write this message at home. Serge informed
me about his new result via telephone.

---
        73,  Jerry  UA9AR.

Mail: Jerry Sidorov, P/O Box 9411,  *   E-mail:  jerry@ua9ar.urc.ac.ru