RFI and Radio Shack Telephones

Subject: RFI and Radio Shack Telephones
From: PaulKB8N@aol.com (PaulKB8N@aol.com)
Date: Sun Oct 15 12:51:31 1995
Gang,
November QST has an interesting article on dealing with EMI/RFI problems by
WA6ISX. In the article, Radio Shack phones scored among those being least
susceptable to EMI/RFI.  Like many of you, I have a healthy skepticism about
RS and their products, but having had a nagging telephone EMI problem for
months, I decided it would be worth a try.  I bought the phone and installed
it, turned on the transmitter into a CQ loop on a dead band, and checked the
phone.  Nothing!  Only when I pushed the drive control and detuned the
antenna slightly could I hear a barely perceptable click in the background.
 Obviously, the wife is happy.

I then took the existing problem phone apart and internally installed 2.5uH
chokes in series with both lines, bypassed with .01mmf discs.  I had been
reluctant to do this previously for fear of cracking the case when I pried
the phone apart.  (The phone was now expendable!)  This phone is now as
bullet-proof as the RS phone.

I'm sure many of you have had similar problems. I've gotten tired of winding
endless external ferrite chokes without fully solving the problem. The
internal chokes work just great, but the RS phone (model 43-585) is an easy
and effective alternative.
                                                                         73,
Paul