CQWW CW, KB8N (Part-time effort)

Subject: CQWW CW, KB8N (Part-time effort)
From: PaulKB8N@aol.com (PaulKB8N@aol.com)
Date: Sun Nov 26 21:39:09 1995
Here's the raw breakdown.  About 12 hours of operating.  ALC problems
rendered primary radio unusable, used second radio.  All low power to wire
antennas.

Band         QSOs/Mults/Zones

160            0/0/0
80              44/24/14
40              122/50/21
20              120/56/23
15               57/32/16
10               1/1/1

All Band Total     344/163/75 = 208,120

First CQWW since returning from Germany as DA1AM, and first stateside CQWW in
7 years.  I'd heard that its not easy from 5-land, and now I really
appreciate the challenge. In addition to struggling with wire antennas, I
experienced problems with my primary radio just two hours prior to the test.
 I was testing antennas on 80M when the Corsair popped a fuse under high SWR
conditions.  After I replaced the fuse, output power was severely reduced
(20-40W out).  I suspected the alc circuitry and pulled the SWR and ALC
boards, replaced some diodes, adjusted the bias, and bench checked the radio,
but got no significant improvement.

Even though I had not planned a serious effort, I had hoped to get off to a
good start and get some idea how the station and antenna would play in a
major contest from the states.  I started off using the Corsair, since it had
better AGC and filters than the older Omni A.  I soon realized how tough it
is to compete from 5-land, especially when you're averaging 30W out!  It took
nine long minutes to make the first contact, with only 20 in the log by the
end of the first hour.  Amazingly, I cracked a couple of early pileups with
only 20W!  I decided to use the Omni exclusively when I realized how much
easier itwas to make QSOs with the full 100W out.

Pluses:  One of my major objectives was to test my 80M Delta Loop, and it
really proved itself.  I basically reconfigured my 80M inverted vee into a
corner fed loop.  The apex is at about 35' and it slants downward to a height
of about five feet.  I was able to work Europe and Japan on 80M, although it
was a challenge.  The bright spot in the contest was a QSO with SM2EKM, when
it was noon his time (11Z)  I had just completed QSOs with JA asnd KH6, so
the antenna is spreading out the signal fairly well.  I must compliment the
courtesy of the 80M operators.  When I was lucky enough to get a response
from a Eu station, several stations waited on the frequency until, often with
many repeats, the DX station got my call.

Negatives:  15M seemed spotty, with some good openings for brief periods, 10M
produced almost nothing, save a QSO with HC8N, the only station heard on ten
all weekend.  I tuned 160 but could not raise anything.  The time I spent
trying to fix the radio was the time I had planned to use getting the loop to
resonate on 160.

Overall:  This was a struggle!  It seemed like it was a fight for every mult.
 I'm looking forward to refining the 80M loop, getting the primary radio
working, and possibly building a wire array fixed on Europe.  Look forward to
hearing how the rest of you did!

73, Paul, KB8N