Tic-Ring = Broke Feedline

Subject: Tic-Ring = Broke Feedline
From: AB5YG@aol.com (AB5YG@aol.com)
Date: Sun Feb 4 19:07:50 1996
I have a Tic General Tic-Ring rotor on my Rohn 25 tower that turns a Force 12
4lm 20M monobander (30' boom).

The beam was left at North (center of rotation) last night.  I was operating
160M on high power --- The Tic-Ring preset light always lights when I operate
on 160M using my tower/sloper antenna ----This has not caused a problem in
the past----

Well--- this morning I set the preset to 90 Degrees and the rotor did not
turn!!!  I immediately went outside and found the beam had rotated 360
degrees CW and ripped the balun off the driven element!!!!

There are NO mechanical or electrical stops on the Tic-Ring!!!  Good thing
the balun had 16ga wire -- If the coax had been directly attached the driven
element would probably had been broken ---  I checked the pot in the rotor
and the cable, and the control unit -- all appears to be normal ----  Is
possible that my 160M RF was rectified and powered the rotor motor?  I don't
think the gears or drive motor slipped as the winds were only around 20 knots
--- The beam was rock solid in 65 MPH winds this past summer as well.
  Anyone have this happen to them???  Anyone add stops to their Tic-ring??

Please respond directly to me by: ab5yg@aol.com

Thanks - Bill -  AB5YG in Mississippi