AA4GA idea - ARRL Help?

Subject: AA4GA idea - ARRL Help?
From: k4sb@avana.net (k4sb@avana.net)
Date: Mon Jun 10 02:00:58 1996
I understand Ron sent his overnight UPS or something. Really doesn't matter in
Gate 1 except when it is processed in the pile.

73,

Ed
-------------------------------------
Name: ed sleight
E-mail: k4sb@avana.net
Time: 01:00:58

This message was sent by Chameleon
-------------------------------------

From: jfeustle@UOFT02.UTOLEDO.EDU (Joseph A. Feustle, Jr.) (Joseph A. Feustle,
Jr.)
Subject: CW filters for contesting, a summary

In my original message I asked for comments on the wisdom of installing 250
Hz filters or perhaps purchasing 400 Hz IRC filters for CW contesting, as
opposed to continuing with the 500 Hz filters that I already have. Though
this request dealt specifically with the Kenwood TS-850S, the responses
received are applicable to any rig. The key word, obviously, is contesting,
and the special requirements it creates.

First, I should like to thank the many colleagues who replied. The free
flow of information and the willingness to share it on this reflector has
always fascinated and impressed me. The consensus is that (1) the most
important filtering is what goes on in the gray matter between the
earphones; (2) the two principal forms of contesting--run stations or
search and pounce--demand that one look at the question of filtering
signals in a different way; (3) a single 250 Hz filter is probably too
narrow and two cascaded together are almost certainly so, and (4) there are
several alternatives to that very tight 250 Hz filter that would be "nice
to have" from time to time.

More than one respondent observed that the danger to narrowing the IF
filters to anything beyond 500 Hz is one of becoming, as Tree, N6TR, put it
"too sharp."  Contrary to what may be conventional wisdom about filtering,
you can be too narrow and consequently "will start missing people calling
off frequency" (N6TR), will have to "be very careful to tune the RIT slowly
and widely +/- 200 Hz after a cq to pick up the off-frequency" (K6LL). K3RA
("looong time op at W3LPL") observed: "Independent of the mfg., I have
found that 250 HZ filters are too narrow for contesting.  I replaced the
pair of 250 Hz filters with 500 Hz filters." Even when tuning for other
stations, Rol says that "the 250 Hz jobs just cause you to tune by the
stations too fast." Rol's final words fairly well sum up the consensus on
250 Hz filters for contesting: "Tune the DX with 500, then switch to 250 on
the rare occasion the narrower bandwidth is needed.  But the 250's are a
PAIN [his emphasis, not mine] in the you know what for contesting!"

Several respondents suggested that you really want to hear MORE not LESS
during a contest. KR2Q put it this way: "250's are too narrow for
CONTESTING unless you want to hold a run frequency near the bottom of the
band on 80 meters.  Sure, you hear other 'crap' with the 500's, but that
'crap' includes stations you WANT to work." Doug also points out that the
things going on outside the "walls" of the filters can include other
important information beside the stations who may be calling you: "I like
to be able to hear more; if not other stations calling me, or for me to
call, at least to be able to hear what else is 'happening' around the
frequency.  With narrow filters, you can think you have a great frequency
to play on, but in reality, your signal may be covered up by someone else
very close by."

K0RC, citing lessons learned from K0FVF (Jim Dokmo, SK), discouraged the
use of 250 Hz filters and suggested instead opening up the pass band: "he
[K0FVF] suggested that I open the filters up to 2.5 KHz and back off on the
RF gain.  Then listen for stations calling you.  I was amazed at how far
off frequency some of the station were that were calling Jim.  With my
filters 'cranked up', I never heard them!"

Lee, K0WA, and AL, GM4BAP, both consider the IRC 400 Hz filters quite
adequate for contesting. Al used the recent IARU Region CW Field Day as a
testing period and found "the IRC 400Hz units offer a 'perfect compromise'
for contesting. They are narrow enough to give excellent rejection even on
a crowed 7Mhz, yet aren't too narrow that they can't be used whilst tuning
the band for S&P." However there appears to be an additional
task--especially challenging for fumble-fingered people like me--involved
in installing these units: you have to cut and solder leads in the 850.

The most frequently suggested alternative was a DSP unit for those times
when 500 Hz doesn't seem to be quite enough, though K0RC also passed on the
suggestion--one that I've used before but that seems to escape me at key
moments like contests--of backing off the RF gain control as another type
of simple "filtration."

Finally, if you will allow the obvious, contesting requires lots of
practice. So, how does an operator get/keep the gray matter going outside
of the major contests? Bob's (K0RC) suggestion is practice with PED: "...I
have been practicing with the PED cw contest simulator program.  I set the
filters to 6 KHz and sit back to listen. I am able to put the rate meter
into the 300's quite often.  But this required me to reverse my thinking on
how to run stations during a CW contest.  It has been hard for me to switch
my style of operating, but with the lesson I learned first hand, I know the
results I can achieve!"
I, too, have had to "reverse my thinking." As can be seen from my original
question, I considered narrower filters to keep signals OUT. The correct
thinking is the opposite: use as wide a set of filters that you can process
through your brain in order to let as many signals IN, and get a maximum
amount of information about what is going on AROUND you. I have two 500 HZ
filters and a Timewave 59+. What I need is not more filters, just lots more
practice.

73
Joe Feustle, N8AAT

TNX to: N6TR, K9MA, K0WA, Bill Robbins, KD6DAE, WS7I, K6LL, K8CV, K3RA,
N1MM, W1IHN, KE6BER, N4ZR, KR2Q, KA9A, K0RC, GM4BAP. I have tried my best
to not leave anyone out or to forget a call.

If you would like to read the individual replies, please drop me a note and
I will e-mail  the file to you.