Welfare Reform

Subject: Welfare Reform
From: ae327@lafn.org (Richard Norton)
Date: Mon Aug 12 09:25:52 1996

>As a SO/QRP station I do a lot of S&P in the major
>contests so I hear a lot of who's where. AND, I do not
>belong to a Unlimited Club like YCCC, but I have a lot
>of friends who are members.
>
>Now, before I ask the question, let me explain my
>station setup. I have a separate computer for packet -
>I use a portable computer for keying and logging.
>
>If I log on to the YCCC network just to pass along
>multipliers to the YCCC network, does that place me in
>SOA category or can I remain in the SO category?

I would like to make a suggestion:

During contests, do the contesting community and your
friends a favor by not making posts to packet systems.
You used your skills to find and work the stations. Let
your friends do the same.

Contest scoring has often been structured so that the number
of different areas worked is multiplied by some function of
the number of contacts made. Planning and implementing
operating strategy to maximize multipliers is an interesting
and challenging exercise.

Radio contests are games. Making a radio contact using today's
technology is no great accomplishment. Working a station,
identified by others and then communicated by packet,
eliminates almost all the game-related aspects that should rate
recognition by scoring it as a "multiplier." There is no clever
overall operating strategy demonstrated. There is no strategy
or skill shown in the finding of, and the identifying of a
multiplier. There is no reason for any packet-aided contact to
count as a "multiplier."

Claiming credit for "multipliers" found by others from packet
should bring the same sense of accomplishment that bringing
a "paycheck" home from the welfare office does. In both cases,
benefits that should be earned are obtained from the efforts of
others. There is an underclass that participates in welfare and
an underclass that participates in contest "multiplier" welfare.
Please help your friends build skills and self-reliance, and
encourage them to not use packet during contests.

73,

Dick Norton, N6AA       ae327@LAFN.ORG