SOA vs SO

Subject: SOA vs SO
From: w2up@voicenet.com (Barry Kutner)
Date: Fri Sep 27 15:29:56 1996
One comment I've seen repeated over the years is that the better
single-ops don't use packet, while the SOAs are a different class of
operator and/or station; hence, the better scores in SO vs SOA. This may be
true in individual cases, but I don't believe it's the rule.

Also, it's very easy to say, as a single op, "gee, I'd definitely do
better with packet." To those who say it, have you tried it?
Personally, when I operate SOA, I try to ignore packet as much as
possible, especially the first 24h. It's very easy to kill a good
run by chasing packet spots. This can hinder the score more than help
it.

One solution would be to permit all to use packet. It would eliminate
the "is this guy cheating by using packet" question that keeps
popping up. And, it would answer the question "are the SO ops the
real macho men/champions they say they are."

73Barry

--
Barry Kutner, W2UP                           Internet: w2up@voicenet.com
Newtown, PA                   FRC            alternate: barry@w2up.wells.com