Collegiate Championship

Subject: Collegiate Championship
From: barron@liant.com (Robert Barron)
Date: Thu Oct 24 11:18:36 1996
The 3rd annual Collegiate Championship will once again be held
during the CW and Phone Sweepstakes competition.  This event
provides college radio clubs with an opportunity to compete
head on with other college clubs.

The rules for the event are below.  The rules allow for alumni
to operate so please consider helping your alma mater's club
get back on the air and beat their rivals.

Each of the last two events have had their results listed in
QST and a more detailed writeup has appeared in the National
Contest Journal.  Don't let your college club be left out.

Third Annual North American Collegiate
Amateur Radio Club Championship

1. Object: To encourage college and university stations
in all ARRL (American Radio Relay League) and RAC
(Radio Amateurs of/du Canada) sections to participate
in the ARRL November Sweepstakes and compete against
other college and university radio clubs.

2. Contest Rules: CW portion takes place on first full
weekend of November (Nov 2-4),  phone portion takes place
on third full weekend of November (Nov 16-18).  Both start
on Saturday 2100 UTC and end on Monday 0300 UTC. All rules,
as stated in the October issue of QST,  pertain to this
collegiate competition.  Participation limited to clubs at
institutions of higher learning beyond the high school level.

3. Station Location: In an effort to encourage club station
improvements all contacts must be made from the established
club radio station located on a college campus.  No
"portable" operation from a nearby contest "super station".
A club may operate from a member's station provided that a
club station on campus does not exist.

4. Results:  Separate champions will be determined for CW,
phone and combined scores.  Official results will be based
on those published in QST so all contestants must submit a
valid log to the ARRL.  Contestants must also submit a score
summary (the contest summary sheet, NOT a complete log!) to
the collegiate contest moderator.  Provisional scores and
winners will be posted on the ham-univ and cq-contest
Internet mail reflectors by the moderator.
Send results to:

        Internet:    barron@liant.com
        Mail:        Robert Barron
                     P.O. Box 180703
                     Austin, TX 78718-0703

5. Awards:  To be determined.  Certificates will probably be
printed.

This means:
1. Entries are not limited to multi-op.  Single op efforts
may submit their score as their official school effort.
2. Entries limited by ARRL Sweepstakes rules to stations in the
US, US possessions and Canada.
3. All club members are allowed to participate (including alumni).
4. Club station location rule waived when no club station exists.

Stations announcing participation
---------------------------------
W5YM     Univ. of Arkansas (SSB)
KC5OJY   Baylor University (SSB, maybe CW)
W6BB     Univ. of California
W6BHZ    Cal Poly (CW & SBB)
WO9S     University of Chicago (CW & SSB)
VE2CUA   Concordia University
WA3GAY   University of Delaware
W4AQL    Georgia Tech (SSB, maybe CW)
W1AF     Harvard University
W8YY     Michigan Tech (CW & SSB)
K2MFF    New Jersey Institute of Technology
W4ATC    North Carolina State University (CW & SSB)
KP4VA    University of Puerto Rico (CW & SSB)
KR4YL?   University of Southern Florida (SSB, maybe CW)
AE4XO    Southern Tech
W5EHM    University of Texas (CW & SSB)

Please let me know if your college plans to participate!

73,

Robert Barron, KA5WSS                 barron@liant.com
Liant Software Corporation            Hook 'Em Horns!