TS-950SDX Noise blanker operation

Subject: TS-950SDX Noise blanker operation
From: hamradio@emerald.oz.net (hamradio@emerald.oz.net)
Date: Sun Oct 27 06:21:00 1996
     I have a TS-950SDX and its noise blanker generally works well on the type
of impulse noise that I most often encounter.  However, as we all know, a
nearby strong signal (such as during CONTESTS!) causes major problems with
almost any blanker, ranging from rendering it ineffective to increasing
apparent splatter from nearby strong stations.
     Since the TS-950SDX (and probably other transceivers) has a second
receiver built in, with its own noise blanker circuit driven by a
second IF chain, I was wondering if there is a way, or if anyone has tried, to
use the second receiver and noise blanker to control the main receiver (or
vice
versa).  The advantage would be that the second receiver could be tuned safely
away from the signals of interest (and nearby strong signals) and to a
frequency down the band a ways where blanking signals would still be generated
from noise pulses.
     I seem to remember some discussion about this possibility somewhere a
while back but wonder if anyone has details.

de Randy, W7HR    <hamradio@emerald.oz.net>