Contest Success=CQ+CQ+CQ ?

Subject: Contest Success=CQ+CQ+CQ ?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon Dec 9 12:12:11 1996

>I know the 160 test is mostly a CQ-athon for many of the big guns. But I
>wonder
>whether there are any other stations that NEVER S+P during a full-out
contest
>effort?  I'd like to think these bozos are unique.

      ANY contest is a CQ-athon.  The time spent by the winners actually
S&P'ing is 5 minutes or so per hour, if that much.  Let's face it, rate is
everything.  And to win, you need lots of rate.  To quote K5ZD, "if you ain't
running, you're losing".

73,  Steve  K7LXC

From: tree@lady.axian.com (Larry Tyree) (Larry Tyree)
Subject: CQ-athon

K7LXC writes:

>       ANY contest is a CQ-athon.  The time spent by the winners actually
> S&P'ing is 5 minutes or so per hour, if that much.  Let's face it, rate is
> everything.  And to win, you need lots of rate.  To quote K5ZD, "if you ain't
> running, you're losing".

I submit there are at least 5 contests per year that are not
CQ-athons:  The five CW Sprints.

73 Tree N6TR
n7trNOT@jzap.com

From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale Martin) (Dale Martin)
Subject: 2 radios "not at home"

On Monday, December 09, 1996 2:30 AM, Rich L. Boyd[SMTP:rlboyd@CapAccess.org]
wrote:

>When a CQing station doesn't hear you answering it's not always that he's
>doing something with the second radio.  Here are other scenarios that I'm
>certain happen:
>
>1.  Station calling is too weak to hear.
>2.  Station calling is off frequency, out of the passband.  CQing
>operator may have gotten lazy and isn't rocking the RIT to hear out of
>passband callers.  Calling stations just sending call once may not be
>giving enough time for the CQing station to rock the RIT and find them.
>It's amazing how many people call 200, 300, or 400 hz off freq.
>3.  Loud QRM at the CQing station that may be in the skip zone of the
>calling station, causing difficulty in copying.
>
>Seems like I had thought of other possibilities, but that's enough for now.
>
>73 - Rich Boyd, KE3Q

4.  Called station has RIT on and is listening off his transmit frequency.

Dale Martin, KG5U
kg5u@hal-pc.org
http://www.hal-pc.org/~kg5u

From: peter_hutter@maca.sarnoff.com (Peter Hutter) (Peter Hutter)
Subject: Contest Success=CQ+CQ+C

                      RE>>Contest Success=CQ+CQ+CQ ?               12/9/96

Hello everyone,
     I disagree with this statement about winning a contest by just CQing. You
must
tune around every once in a while to pick up multipliers and qsos from people
that
are not serious in the contest. To be able to win, you must have a good
balance of
CQing and tuning around. It's amazing what happens when you do this.
     73, Peter/WW2Y

--------------------------------------
To: Peter Hutter
From: K7LXC@aol.com

Sender: owner-cq-contest@tgv.com
From: K7LXC@aol.com
To: k0od@ix.netcom.com
CC: cq-contest@tgv.com
Subject: Re: Contest Success=CQ+CQ+CQ ?

From: junger@usgs.gov (Unger) (Unger)
Subject: Contest computer CMOS battery failure

On Dec 9, 12:02pm, Frank Donovan wrote:

> my hard drive fails), its also very important to keep a record of CMOS
> parameters for the inevitable battery failure!  In addition to keeping
> hard-copy printout of all of the CMOS parameters for each computer, I
also
> write the most critical CMOS parameters (the hard drive parameters) on
> piece of paper taped to the back of the computer.

Frank - you and others may be interested in a program written by Roedy
Green that I picked up a few years ago. It is basically a CMOS backup
routine. It reads your present CMOS parameters and writes them to a
floppy disk. If you ever lose them, you simply boot with the floppy and
rewrite them back to the computer. I got the program from BIX, but it
may be available elsewhere. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll
get you a copy; it's freeware.

73 - John, W4AU

From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale Martin) (Dale Martin)

On Monday, December 09, 1996 6:02 AM, Frank =
Donovan[SMTP:donovanf@sgate.com] wrote:
>My contest station has 14 computers, and its inevitable that I =
experience
>the "low battery" CMOS warning occasionally!  Needless to say, I do not
>want to experience a needless panic trying to determine CMOS parameters
>in the hours before a contest! =20
>
>Like the need for hard-drive backup (its not "if my hard fails" its: =
"when
>my hard drive fails), its also very important to keep a record of CMOS
>parameters for the inevitable battery failure!  In addition to keeping =
>hard-copy printout of all of the CMOS parameters for each computer, I =
also
>write the most critical CMOS parameters (the hard drive parameters) on =
>piece of paper taped to the back of the computer.
>
>73!
>Frank
>W3LPL
>donovanf@sgate.com

I just ran into a dead battery situation on a computer at Houston Zoo, =
yesterday.  Once I finally tracked down the computer guru who told me =
where she kept the CMOS list, I made a text file of the listing and put =
it on the system boot diskette (we all have made one and have it handy, =
right?).  Actually, there are so few parameters that you could, =
conceivably, write it on the system diskette label, too!  Just another =
piece of paper to not have to track....among all the contest (there, =
I've said it) logs and equipment/software notebooks.

73,

Dale Martin, KG5U
kg5u@hal-pc.org
http://www.hal-pc.org/~kg5u

From: rrossi@btv.ibm.com (Ronald D Rossi) (Ronald D Rossi)
Subject: Elevated verticals

My two cents on this issue.  100% non-technical (from an engineer no less!!).
I am using a multi-band vertical with many random length elevated (0.5 to 3m
above ledgy ground) radials.  Previously I had few radials resonant on each
band. The one valid observation regarding efficiency was made on 75m ground
wave with a buddy, KD1SG, about 35 miles from my home. With 3 near resonant
radials (about 19m or 61ft) I measured a consistent 33 to him. Now with the 64
random radials up I consistently come in at 58. I am now trading generally
equal RS's with EU as well...I was way off previously. Dave, KD1SG, was using
a 46ft ground mounted vertical with 50 or so radials. His signal has always
been 58-59 to me.

I measured the impedance at resonance, around 3.830MHz, to be 14-15 Ohms. This
seems to be about right, since Devoldere quotes about 10 Ohms for the 64
radials (ground level, but well..close enough), and the 7.9m 1/3-up-loaded
vertical is somewhere around 3 Ohms in theory. Well okay not 100% non-tech!!

I now have my dipole up about 3m higher and will be recomparing to my vertical
during the NAQPs, VT QSO Party, and ARRL DX Phone.

--
73 de KK1L ex N1PBT...ron (rrossi@btv.ibm.com) <><
Ron Rossi H/P SRAM Engineering -- IBM Microelectronics

From: force12e@lightlink.com (Natan Huffman) (Natan Huffman)
Subject: SS Sweep mugs

Was quite surprised to find a box on the porch containing the clean sweep
mug for both phone and cw for the 96 SS.  The league is really on top of
things as SS was only last month.  Good job and appropriate accolades to
the contest branch.

73s

Natan

W6XR/2

From: george@epix.net (George C. Cook) (George C. Cook)
Subject: Happy Holidays

At 02:57 PM 12/19/96 -0500, you wrote:
> VA3WTO one of the member`s at VA3SK M/S
> Contest Team.
>
> va3wto@pathcom.com
>
> Home  416-656-5728
> Celular 416-804-3517

>Attachment Converted: d:\eudora\attach\Cristmas.EXE

Please PLEASE gang do not send unanounced .EXE, .COM and .BAT files to anyone!
Passing just one infected file (which this one was not) could potentially
cost someone in
the computer field there job.  (Many firms frown on passing infections on
to customers or introducing them to an internal system.)
You should always ask before sending someone an executable
and never send one to a list.

Flame me if you must remembering it takes less time to delete them than to
type them!

GC
*George Cook.....AA3JU.....AKA "The Ratman" *
*george@epix.net.....AA3JU@W3PYF            *
*http://www.epix.net/~george                *
*                                           *
*Proudly Frankford Radio Club.........      *
*.......Proficiency Through Competiton.     *
*"Not just words but a way of life"         *

From: n4gn@iglou.com (Tim Totten, N4GN) (Tim Totten, N4GN)
Subject: Four Victor on CW

On Thu, 19 Dec 1996, Bill Fisher N4VJ (nee KM9P) wrote:

> I've received a few comments about my new callsign (N4VJ).  Seems some
> think that 4 and V together is a no-no on CW.  I take exception to that
> theory.  I operated for many years at K4VX and never had anyone send K44X
> or KV4X or such.

My theory is that many ops anticipate (probably subconsciously) a 1x2,
1x3, or to a lesser degree, a 2x3 call from stateside.  Less common 2x1
and 2x2 calls where the second letter is "nearly" a number can cause
problems.  It's even worse when the real number is "nearly" a letter.
Thus, the propensity to turn NV6O into N4BO.  Or, in my former case, KJ4VH
into K1VVH (or worse, K1VVS).

More to the point, I never sensed the "4V" combination was inherently bad.
But I'd MUCH rather be N4VJ than NV4J!

73,

    Tim Totten, N4GN (nee KJ4VH)
n4gn@iglou.com   n4gn@contesting.com
     http://www.iglou.com/n4gn/

From: trey@cisco.com (Trey Garlough) (Trey Garlough)
Subject: administrative

[]

We had a small hiccup here that caused the subscriber list to go backwards
in time a bit, so you may find your subscription status has changed.  Sorry
for the inconvenience.

Since I will be in Santa Cruz the entire month of December, I am hoping
to get the CQ-Contest mailing list moved over to a new system and
extraced from the cisco.com/tgv.com domain by the end of the month.  Stay
tuned for details.

--Trey, N5KO

From: bhorn@netcom.com (Bruce Horn) (Bruce Horn)
Subject: BCB Filter Help

I'm looking for a source for a broadcast band filter, such as the ICE Model
402X, that attenuates frequencies below 1.8 MHz. Filter needs to be capable
of handling transceiver power levels. Need a source that I can telephone
order from on Friday (Dec. 20) and get it shipped overnight for Saturday
delivery. Thanks.

73 de Bruce, WA7BNM   (bhorn@netcom.com)

From: garyk9gs@solaria.sol.net (Gary Schwartz) (Gary Schwartz)
Subject: Health Effects of EMF (Charge em)

On Thu, 19 Dec 1996 W8JITom@AOL.COM wrote:

> >I saw this blurb in the "News and Analysis" section of the January 1997
> issue
> >Scientific-American:
> >
> >     Under the Wire
> >
> >            A committee from the National Research Council has concluded
> that
> >     electromagnetic fields (EMFs) pose no real health threat,

<snip>

> I wonder how long it will be before our good Ham friend (the N6) who dropped
> out of the ARRL program on RF exposure works to undue the damage he has
> helped do with the new exposure guidelines.

Probably never.  The ego gets in the way.  BTW, the call is N6NB.

73,
Gary K9GS
 /   FP/K9GS, TO5M   |Society of Midwest Contesters |____________________
(                    |   garyk9gs@solaria.sol.net   |Secretary/Treasurer/