[CQ-Contest] CW Filters & When to use them

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CW Filters & When to use them
From: headrick@radar.nrl.navy.mil (James M. Headrick)
Date: Fri Sep 19 09:08:23 1997

On Thu, 18 Sep 1997 Ken.Silverman@zool.AirTouch.COM wrote:

> Ken Silverman@AIRTOUCH
> 09/18/97 05:06 PM
>
> While I haven't read all the mail on this one, I thought I'd throw in some
> other considerations on filter selection.
>
> One of the key things I am concerned about is the insertion loss of the
> tighter filters.  Normally I like 500 Hz cascaded filters, and will never
> use 250hz filters in contests (especially from the DX side, from which I do
> a lot of contesting).
---

> Kenny K2KW

If switching in narrow bandwidth filters makes the signal-to-noise ratio
worse, the receiving system is internal noise limited. HF receiving
systems should be environmental noise limited, and then (on CW) the
narrower the bandwidth the better the signal-to-noise ration.

73 Jim   w3cp     headrick@radar.nrl.navy.mil