[CQ-Contest] Sharing frequencies and special CLEAR freq's

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Sharing frequencies and special CLEAR freq's
From: MartinL@AppDes.com.au (Martin Luther)
Date: Thu Mar 12 12:27:47 1998
It is not unusual to have two "dx" stations using the same or very
similar frequencies especially working split on forty.
During this last ARRL test I'm sure I was "sharing" my listen frequency
with three other stations at one point. I moved my pile up to another
frequency!!!
You have to listen very carefully to the timing of responses if in doubt
I check by only getting a partial call. I hear xx6xx but I respond, the
xx6  ur 599400 and if xx6xx comes back with a call correction and
correct timing he's mine. If he just gives a report I find a new listen
frequency. Often stations take this as a hint to confirm my call too so
they go V5GN XX6XX ur 59cal.
However, it realy is possible for me and a JA to use the same listen
frequencies for much of the time in the ARRL test as W's beaming to JA
are weaker than those beaming VK and vice verca. You just have to be
carefull what your doing. I still don't believe it is necessary to
repeat all the calls too often to make the contact. My definition of a
contact in a contest is calls each way correct in both logs with the
necessary exchange. How much on air confirmation and reconfirmation
occurrs is up to the judgement of the operators at the time taking into
account the skill levels perceived to exist, the level of interference
and any doubt at the time.THAT IS WHAT DEFINES A GOOD CONTEST OP. THEY
GET IT RIGHT MORE TIMES MORE QUICKLY THAN ANYONE ELSE.

the special privilige to have a clear frequency up and down 1KHz in a
contest especially in "prime real estate" like top end of 80(3795). Do
you have to apply to a special authority? I seem to always end up
sharing with someone somewhere and with a bit of sliding around 100Hz at
a time we manage to live with each other until propogation changes in
some way. I've always thought that was part of the game but I would like
one of those special clear frequencies if someone can tell me where to
buy one. Maybe its part of these new frequency auctions the authorities
carry out? If I offer ITU $1M maybe they will allocate me my very own
bit of each band and tell everyone else to go away.

Then, of course, we would be having trouble dodging the porcine manure.

73
Martin VK5GN