[CQ-Contest] NAQP Power

Subject: [CQ-Contest] NAQP Power
From: pk@ij.net (Paul Knupke, Jr.)
Date: Sat Aug 8 12:37:16 1998
> That way each of us will have a category and we can all be winners.
>
> Don't know about all of you, but I do contests because it's fun and my
> competition is myself.  Better score than last year, stimulus to improve
> antennas, etc.
>
> If you have to cheat to win, you're only cheating yourself.  Last time I
> checked, the prize money is pretty slim.

Exactly.  Jon is right.  I am in the position that my home station only has
a wire antenna for all bands except 10m where I was able to get a small 10
meter beam up at 30'.  Its not easy but I have fun and realize that I using
a very simple station and I know I'll never compete against the 'guns' but I
try to improve my skills and do better each contest and be able to improve
my skills in contesting so when I guest-op occasionally I do pretty well.
I'm having fun ... and when I stop having fun, I'll be looking for a new
activity.

My first HF rig I had was a FT-7A that did 35 watts.  I did some of my first
contesting with it and single band wire antennas switching the coax when I
wanted to change bands.

There are plenty of single tribander/wire stations out there that do very
well.  There is no doubt that big antennas and power make a difference but
put a poor operator in there and see how he/she does.

73,
Paul

Paul E. Knupke, Jr.             Largo, FL (EL87)
pk@ij.net                       ICQ#605259
Amateur Radio: KR4YL            Voice 442.150+ (103.5)
Proud member of THE Florida Contest Group!