[CQ-Contest] Distance-Based Scoring Systems

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Distance-Based Scoring Systems
From: miltj@dvec.org (Milt Jensen)
Date: Thu Aug 26 13:04:47 1999
Bruce, N6NT wrote:

>  In contrast, getting through to FL, GA, or SC was a major challenge.

Milt, N5IA, questioned and commented:

Bruce, perhaps I missed something but I thought the discussion was a suggestion
to consider implementing distance based scoring in the ARRL DX Contest in
particular and others in general.  Your example given above appears to have no
application to this proposal.  If I have misunderstood the direction and
reasoning of you post, I apologize in advance.

Your explanation re HF propogation certainly is correct for contests which
require domestic contacts.  The awarding of points based upon distance would go
a long way towards mitigating the discrepancy that now exists in DX contests
when continent and country boundaries are used to determine point value of
contacts.

The vagaries of propogation are never going to be eliminated from the formula.
But when there is an opportunity to eliminate arbitrary advantages delivered by
historical scoring methods, then that opportunity should be seized and acted
upon.

I am totally in favor of keeping countries, states, zones, etc. as the
multipliers, but IMHO the contact points system needs an overhaul.  Distance
based scoring for the base contacts is a method which would provide a great
degree of leveling to the scoring system.

Have a good day.  73 de Milt, N5IA