[CQ-Contest] Two radios - one amp

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Two radios - one amp
From: k8cc@mediaone.net (k8cc)
Date: Mon Jan 15 21:44:37 2001
At 01:55 PM 1/15/01 -0500, 00tlzivney@bsuvc.bsu.edu wrote:
 >The review of the ICOM IC-PW1 amp in the February 2001 QST mentions that
 >it has inputs for two radios.  However, no mention is made about the
 >practicality of using one amp in SO2R.  In particular, can it, or the
 >Alpha 87A / ACOM switch bands fast enough so that it is practical to
 >only have one amp?  When you hit F2 or whatever to dump your call in
 >on the second radio, is there a noticable lag ( more than a few milliseconds,
 >one might think would be a challenge) in RF coming out as a result of\
 >the band change?
 >
 >What experience is there with using one (expensive) amp in place of two
 >less expensive amps?

Terry,

Dick, WC1M once told me of his experience trying to use an Alpha 87A with a
SO2R setup.  His comment was that the 87A was not fast enough retuning to
jump between two bands the way a SO2R op would want.  This might be an
interesting question to pose to the ACOM folks, but I would be surprised if
their amp was much faster.

I would think that a solid state amp (which only has to switch in a
different set of filters) might be fast enough for SO2R.  However, I would
think it would still have to have a control line to the radio so that the
amp bandswitching would occur when the radio switch occured, and not in
response to sensed RF, to be quick enough.

73,

Dave/K8CC