[CQ-Contest] Contest Coverage - Sports, Comics, Dear Abby

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contest Coverage - Sports, Comics, Dear Abby
From: 00tlzivney@bsu.edu (Zivney, Terry L.)
Date: Thu Jan 17 10:36:35 2002
How many people read those high school box scores in the
local newspaper?  Surely most of these are available on the
websites of the respective schools involved in the meaningless
games :>)   Still, most (all?) newspapers continue to devote
considerable space to such postings, most of which are of interest
to only a small number of people.

Same thing with Obituaries, Engagement Announcements, etc. Still,
if any of these items were omitted, which directly affect very
few of the readers in any given year, presumably circulation
would plunge.

The point is, having your name (or your loved one's name) in print
in very valuable.  I submit that having my small contest score
buried in the pages of QST or CQ is useful in that even non-contesters,
such as my dad or other ham friends, like to see my call in print, too.

For many readers, these less important stories are the most important
reason for buying the publication.  My dad and many of my ham friends
could care less about the huge scores run up by the East Coast power-
houses, but are interested in how the local people did.  To have
my modest score on the same page as K1ARs or K5ZDs or W3LPLs is,
to quote a popular series of commercials, "PRICELESS."

Heck, even the Wall Street Journal has sports stories every day.
That is a bottom-line oriented publisher.